The fifth book in the acclaimed Woodturning Series from professional wood-turner and instructor Mike Darlow, Woodturning Chessmen is the ultimate guide to crafting beautiful chessmen on a lathe. And, with its comprehensive background on the history, symbolism, and design of chessmen, this book is not only invaluable to woodworkers, but to collectors of chess sets and to chess players seeking to know more about the celebrated traditions of the game.
Exceptionally illustrated with over 275 photographs dozens of drawings, diagrams, and historic engravings, Woodturning Chessmen includes:
- The history of chess and chessmen from A.D. 550 to the present
- Insight into the design and symbolism of each piece
- Expert tips for designing a chess set from start to finish
- Accurate drawings of 10 antique chess sets
- Step-by-step instruction on turning, carving, and finishing your own chessmen
- An inspiring gallery of six chess sets from today's masters